Healthcare and skincare are very closely related. People are becoming more and more aware of their bodies and skincare has been on the rise as the most popular trend in the past two years. Many people have started to take self-care more seriously which has shown a significant rise in their emotional and physical well-being. One of the practices for self-care is the use of face oils.
We have previously covered how to choose face oils, this is an updated version.
Importance Of Face Oils
Face oils have been said to be the future of skincare products. There are many oils you can choose from according to your own skin needs. Here is a list that highlights the importance of face oils:
- With passing age, the quantity of natural oil produced in your body is reduced. This can lead to dry skin, irritation, premature aging, fine lines, wrinkles, and even skin cracks. Face oil prevents all of that and also balances your skin nutrients and retains moisture.
- In the current climate sun damage, pollution, and the environment can be extremely detrimental to the health of your skin. Since the skin is the largest organ in your body it is important to take measures to protect it from any harm. Face oils help to control the environmental damage.
- Most face oils are derived from natural sources, like flowers, seeds, and fruits, therefore they are vegan and cruelty-free.
- Face oils create a barrier between your skin and its surroundings to protect it from any damage.
- All face oils are considered to be multi-functional. They can be used as make-up removers as well as lip balms and under-eye cream to reduce dark circles.
- Face oils are much more efficient than other chemical-based face creams and produce much faster results.
- They are also less costly as compared to face creams since a few drops can cover your entire face and neck at a time.
- Certain oils, eg.: Castor oil, can even be used to nourish eyelashes.
Determine Which Face Oil Fits Your Skin Type
Here is a complete guide on how to determine which face oils are perfect for your skin type. You can mix and match to make your own custom oil too. A Custom Face Oil is specifically designed to suit your skin type and treat any skin problems you might be facing by its healing properties.
Normal skin seldom has any problems that need resolving with the help of outside means. However, skincare is still very important to keep your normal skin nourished and damage-free. Here are three oils that are perfect for normal skin:
- Argan Oil– Argan oil is probably one of the most popular face oils. This oil has high concentration of antioxidants which can fight aging by neutralizing free radicals damaging cells. Josie Maran argan oil is one of the best products out there.
- Squalane Oil– This oil can mimic your natural sebum and improve elasticity by increasing moisture retention and nutrients.
- Retinol Oil– This oil help boost collagen production and increase cell turnover. Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Oil, Dermalogica Retinol Clearing Oil, Pixi Overnight Retinol oil are some great products to try out.
Dry skin is naturally more prone to cracks, peels, and itching. This only worsens with time so you need a good solution to keep your skin hydrated and healthy with enough nutrients to make it appear half its age. For this reason, these three oils are perfect for dry skin:
- Marula Oil– With its light texture and rich moisture content properties, Marula oil can be the perfect oil for dry skin on Winter season.
- Almond Oil– Almond oil has Vitamin A, E, Omega-3 fatty acids, Zinc and it’s said to be useful to fight sun damage, reduce scars & stretch marks and treat dry skin.
- Avocado Oil– This oil has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents that can calm dry itchy skin by providing nourishment.
Suggested read: 5 Face Oil Products You Should Try
It might seem unusual to people why they should use face oils when they have naturally oily skin. The reason for this is that oily skin type is characterized by large open pores and excess oil secretion and also, acne. Face oils can prevent all that in one application by controlling the secretion of excess oil in your skin therefore, here are 3 options that are perfect for oily skin:
- Peppermint Oil– This oil cleanses the skin and has antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Grapeseed Oil– This can be a great topical treatment for skin. It can treat acne and even out skin tones.
- Tea Tree Oil– It has antiseptic properties which can help acne prone, itchy and also, oily skin.
Sensitive skin is the trickiest to find good skincare products for. When triggered, sensitive skin gets visibly red, itchy, dry, and inflamed. To prevent this from occurring, here are our top 3 picks that are perfect for sensitive skin:
- Aloe Vera Oil– This oil is packed with enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins A and C and anti inflammatory properties. It can treat burns, acne, dry skin and many other skin issues.
- Moringa Oil– It has antimicrobial, antibacterial, antioxidant, antifungal, and anti-aging properties.
- Castor Oil– This oil has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing effects which can help treat acne.
Acne-prone skin, as its name suggests, is characterized by too many clogged pores in which bacteria get inhabited and acne is produced. To combat this, here are 3 oils that are perfect for acne-prone skin:
- Pomegranate Oil– It has vitamin C and other anti-oxidants.
- Rosehip Oil– You can read more about Rosehip Oil: How to Use it for Skin, Hair and Face in this article.
- Coconut Oil– It can be used to moisturizing dry skin, reducing inflammation. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.
Combination skin is essentially when skin is dry in some places and oily in others. Using different products for each place would be counterproductive as well as costly therefore, here are 3 oils that are perfect for combination skin:
- Jojoba Oil– This oil is a noncomedogenic, moisturizing, hypoallergenic oil that can be used to control sebum production.
- Marula Oil– You can also use Marula oil for combination skin.
- Flaxseed Oil– This one nourishes and moisturizes skin, reduces sensitivity and improves skin barrier function.
Each type of skin has the potential to be, look and feel its best. Face oils help you do that while also making your skin glow so you can look radiant in every light. However, the magic of face oils does not end at skincare, they help with your haircare rituals as well.
About the Guest Writer:
Andrea Jane Holtz, an Atelier Esthetique Institute of Esthetics NYC graduate, is a New York Times bestselling author of the self-help book “Beauty and You”. She lives in London with her cat and is a devoted promoter of normalizing skincare. She has been writing for My AlpStory to spread awareness about the use of natural, vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free products since early 2015.
Follow Sifa’s Corner on,