I have naturally curly, frizzy hair. I air-dry my hair and do not use hot tools. If I count how many time I use hot tools, it will sum up to only those days when there is a big party or I know I will be photographed. The main reason I don’t give this extra effort in curling or straightening hair is I have chronic pain on my shoulders due to TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). I don’t want to deal with intense pain for the sake of luscious curls or sleek straight hair. 🙁
So when I was sent this Kiss InstaWave Automatic Curler I got kinda disheartened. “Another hot tools to waste!“, I thought. But after looking at the manual/instruction carefully, I came to realize there’s an “AUTOMATIC” part in this device. (It’s in the name too, DUH!)
I was hopeful again. Will it be the answer to people like me who face difficulties in holding the arms up for a long time due to pain?
Keep on reading to know my thoughts about this.
HOT TOOLS AND ME:
Many of you are wondering what the heck is that TOS thingy I talked before? It’s a condition where the nerves or blood vessels of your shoulder and arms are pinched or compressed due to extra rib, accident, bad posture etc. My symptoms started 8 years ago from 2 extra ribs in my body and for this I underwent 2 separate surgeries. Now my pain level has lessened from a straight 10 to 5-6 and some days, 7. For this constant pain, I have to avoid heavy lifting, typing or writing for a longer period of time and balancing my works in “must-do-now”, “do-it-later” and “let-it-go” type. More info can be found here.
I used to use hot tools almost every day before my body started to be in command of the pain situation. Due to the pain episodes and surgeries, I stopped heat-styling my hair completely. Why the heck would I face excruciating pain for holding up my arms just styling my hair?! It’s a no-brainer!
To give you an idea of my hair styling, I used the hot tools 4-5 times last year, and only because I had my wedding programs back then.
So now that you can understand how distant my relation is with hot tools, I can proceed with the actual review of this curler.
ABOUT THE BRAND:
Here is what KISS has to say about their product:
“The revolutionary KISS InstaWave is a fully automatic tangle-free curler that instantly creates beautiful, long-lasting curls with ease (No Need to be a Pro).
No longer do we need a professional to style our hair to perfection. Instantly create beautiful, long-lasting curls with just the touch of a button with the KISS InstaWave, a fully automatic tangle-free curler.”
In plain words, KISS is claiming that this particular device is supposed to make the hair-curling work easier for you.
FEATURES OF KISS INSTAWAVE:
1. Diamond-ceramic technology- To break the term down; hot tools with ceramic heat up pretty quickly and evenly. It glides through hair without any pulling and tugging, thus reducing breakage and damage to the hair. It also preserves hair’s natural moisture and luster.
2. Ceramic Ionic technology- Heat tools with ionic technology leaves hair shiny and frizz free.
3. 4200 F max temperature.
4. Auto shut-off after 90 minutes.
5. No clamp.
6. Curl dial or rotator with left-right directional curl rotation switch.
7. Temperature setting is divided into high and low.
HOW TO USE:
According to KISS instawave guidelines,
1. Hold InstaWave vertically.
2. Simply place section of hair on the InstaWave curling rod.
3. Touch the Curl Dial either left or right, and the InstaWave instantly and automatically catches and curls the hair.
4. Hold for 5-10 seconds, hold longer for tighter curls and less for beachy waves.
5. Pull the InstaWave down vertically, letting hair out.
6. Tip: Switch between curling right and curling left to create the most natural looking curls.
1. Before using the InstaWave, I applied a serum for heat-protection. I have used Kerastase Oleo-Relax.
2. I took a small section of hair from the right side of my head.
3. Placed the section along the curling wand and pressed the right button (I wanted my curls to be away from my face.)
4. I kept the wand rotating for 5-6 seconds and left with curl like this.
5. I repeated the process on rest of my hair.
Here is a video tutorial showing the curling process and result.
PRICE & AVAILABILITY:
WHAT HAVE I FOUND:
Here’s what I have found about this device-
1. Hair can be curled with minimal effort using either right or left hand.
2. The curling time is less than a normal curling wand.
3. Curls feel smoother & softer with minimal frizz.
4. Auto-shutoff feature. This feature is great for those who use curlers everyday before work and often forget to turn off the switch before rushing outside.
5. Easy to grip and the rotating cord helps to use from any position.
1. At the beginning, the whole process of this curler seems a little un-natural. But after 2-3 times you will get a hang of this 🙂
2. If you hold your hair horizontally instead of vertically, hair may get tangled. BUT it’s nothing severe. Just gently pull the InstaWave down vertically.
IN A NUTSHELL:
Before I write down my final verdict, let me show you something.
Here is a comparison picture to show you my curls with a regular curler (pic.-A) and KISS InstaWave (pic.-B). Do you see the difference in texture and smoothness? I have increased the exposure and brightness of the picture to show the curl patterns better.
So my verdict is; I have, at last, found a curler which lets me style my hair without the “extra” pain and with minimal effort. It gives a nice loose curl on my already curly hair which I just adore! Two thumbs up KISS InstaWave! 🙂
Do subscribe to my blog updates!
Follow Sifa’s Corner on,