“You need a surgery”….. Perhaps it’s one of the most dreadful sentences we can encounter. Being unconscious and completely surrender to a group of strangers while they cut open our body and explore to get rid of the “bad” stuffs- this idea is not only frightening but also frustrating.
It’s for the betterment!
- Clothing– Set aside loose cotton clothes (pajamas are better option) for the post operative period.
- It’s better if you cut your nails short and take off the nail polish before the surgery. If you are unwell to do so, ask someone to do it for you.
- If possible, shampoo your hair the day before and tie it (if you have long hair) on the day of surgery.
- Follow your doctor’s advice– Your doctor is going to instruct you what you should do and eat before the operation. FOLLOW IT.
- Get rest– Good night’s rest is really helpful before the surgery. If you are anxious & in pain and can’t sleep, talk to the doctor and ask for a medicine. If your health condition doesn’t permit a sleeping pill then just relax and try to rest.
Post operative care-
Now comes the part of healing and true persistence. If you are complication free and your recovery is normal & progressive then CONGRATULATIONS!
- Take rest as long as the doctor has advised. Abstain from any heavy activity or exercise during this period.
- Take normal healthy diet along with the medicines. Drink lots of water. It takes time to heal. So be patient and optimistic.
- Visit or consult your doctor if you see or feel something unusual regarding your body. It includes-
Severe pain,Fever,Vomiting,Abnormal swelling,Difficulty in breathing,Dizziness,Abnormal bleeding.