Summer….it means lots of outside time, cold drinks, barbeque…. it also means scorching hot & harmful sun rays on us that are potent enough to burn and damage our skin deeply. So if you are spending a little too much time under the sun this season, we are here to help you today. We will be talking about ways to treat summer sunburn naturally at home.
How to treat summer sunburn naturally at home
What Is Sun Burn? And How Does It Damage The Skin?
Sunburn happens to our skin due to spending long hours in the scorching sun. Harmful UVA & UVB rays of the sun penetrate the skin and damage the outer layer of skin or the epidermis. Sunburn can be mild and severe, and the more severe it is, the more devastation it will cause to your skin.
Generally, most people get mild sunburn in the summertime that causes redness and sensitivity in their skin, and if someone spends non-stop hours in the sun without sunscreen, the chances of getting severe sunburn are high. In this case, skin becomes severely red, inflamed, and starts to peel (Ouch!)
So, now you know about sunburn and its damage to your skin. Here’s how you can prevent it:
- Always protect your skin with a high SPF sunscreen. Here’re some sunscreen options.
- If you are wearing makeup, use a foundation with SPF for extra protection. Try to find one that contains at least SPF 30+ to protect your skin from sun damage.
- Don’t forget your lips. Use a lip balm with higher SPF.
- Do not forget to reapply.
How To Treat Summer Sun Burn Naturally At Home –
Best Home Remedies
There are many natural ingredients & home remedies that can cure sunburn. These natural remedies have the goodness of skin-soothing ingredients, anti-inflammation, and skin healing properties.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is effective at soothing burns and it’s sometimes referred to as the “burn plant.” It also has this incredible ability to survive in scorching hot sun with minimum water. It’s infused with beta carotene, vitamin A, B, C, minerals, enzymes, and antioxidants, moreover anti-bacterial & inflammatory properties increase aloe vera’s skin healing potency for sunburned sensitive skin. Here’s how can you treat your summer burnt skin with incredible natural aloe vera gel.
Ingredients You Need:
- One Aloe Leaf
How To Use:
- Take a fresh aloe leaf, clean it nicely in hot water.
- Now, cut it half horizontally and separate both sides.
- Scoop out the aloe gel with the help of a spoon in a clean bowl.
- Mix it well, and put it into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- As it gets colder, apply it all over your sun burned skin and leave for 1 hour.
How Often To Use: You can apply it 2-3 times a day until your skin gets recovered from sunburn. Skip washing your skin with soap, and use a mild moisturizer on your skin afterward.
2. Yogurt & Turmeric
Sunburn doesn’t only make your skin super red or sensitive but also strips away skin moisture that causes skin peeling & irritation. To combat this you can always use yogurt. Yogurt is enriched with vitamin B2 & B12, anti-inflammatory properties that soothe the red inflamed skin and repair the skin’s protective barrier & epidermis by providing them optimal nourishment.
You can also add healing properties of turmeric to accelerate the healing benefits.
Ingredients You Need:
- ½ cup of fresh yogurt
- 3 tbsp of turmeric powder
How To Use:
- Mix the turmeric powder and yogurt together and put it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Now slather the mixture on your face and sun burn affected area.
- Let it sit on the skin for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
How Often To Use: Apply it 1-2 times a day until you get rid of the sunburn, and don’t use soap & warm water on the skin.
Oatmeal is a great gentle skin healer. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and inflammatory properties that soothe and nourish the skin, and accelerate the cells regeneration process that eliminates damaged cells and brings up new & healthy ones.
If spending your summertime on the beach turned your skin red & itchy, you can make it healthy & glowing again by slathering nutritious oatmeal on your skin or having a relaxing bath in oatmeal water. So, let’s learn how to get rid of sunburn using oatmeal as a home remedy. There are 2 ways to use it.
Ingredients For Oatmeal Paste:
- ½ cup of unflavored oatmeal
- 5 tbsp of honey
- ¼ cup of raw milk
How To Use Oatmeal Paste:
- Grind oatmeal and get the fine powder out of it.
- Add 1 cup of milk to it and leave for 5 minutes.
- Now add honey into it and mix the paste well, and put it into the refrigerator to get cold.
- Apply it all over the sunburned skin and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water
How Often To Apply Oatmeal Paste: use this skin healing & nourishing home remedy 2-3 times a day to treat sunburn faster.
Ingredients For Oatmeal Bath:
- 1 Full Cup Of Oatmeal
- 1 Cup Of Milk
How To Use Oatmeal For Bath:
- Mix milk and oatmeal powder together.
- Pour it in the bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Soak your skin in oatmeal water for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off your skin with cold water.
- Gently pat dry and wear loose clothes.
How Often To Do: If the sunburn is mild you can take an oatmeal bath only once a day but if it is severe you need to do it twice and apply nourishing body lotion suitable for sensitive skin.
Neha holds a master’s degree in commerce and firmly believes in communicating effectively with a personal touch through her deep passion for writing on skincare, beauty, and health. In her free time, she keeps herself busy with her love of reading about nutrition and beauty updates that help to grow her specialization and blending her passion in her informative articles.
Follow Sifa’s Corner on,