I live in a “Summer-Special” city where the scorching heat surpasses the chilliness of the Air Conditioner, where tanning is not optional but a must, if you go out in the sun (even if you lather on sunscreen lotions) and summer here seems endless!
….Well, it’s just my opinion….but people living in Dhaka will not deny the above “summer facts”!
|Summer sun in artist’s eyes|
This summer season, I am making separate articles for summer care including skin, hair, makeup and health & nutrition.
Today’s article is about summer skin care.
Yes I know…I preach about sun protection A LOT! But you are going to thank me one day!
- Switch to a sunscreen with higher SPF in the summer. Along with the face, apply the sunscreen on the bare parts of your arms and feet. If you apply makeup when you are going out, opt for a makeup product with SPF in it.
I am using Neutrogena dry touch sunblock in SPF 45. Here is the review.
Clothing & accessories:
- Try to go for loose cotton clothing instead of tight synthetic material. It will not only let your skin breathe, but also prevent from skin disease occurring in summer.
- Try large sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sunrays.
- Wear hat or a scarf to protect your hair.
- Are you a product junkie? If so then leave the heavy eye-cream, lotion, body butter etc for winter. Choose a light water-based moisturizer for summer.
- As for perfume or body spray, switch the heavier perfumes to a light floral or citrusy one.
At-home skin care:
- Wash your face twice daily to remove oil and dirt build up.
- When you come home from outside, try to wash the face with cold (not chilled!) water.
- Make time once a week to do an at-home facial. To know detailed procedure for at-home facial, check out my previous article.
In case of sun-burn:
Try the following face mask to soothe your skin in summer.
You will need: Cucumber, Tomato, Potato.
Blend a cucumber, tomato and potato well. You can store the mixture in refrigerator. When you get home after a long summer day, use this mixture as a mask to calm the skin and remove sunburns. Just keep this mask on for 10 minutes and wash it off with cold water. (This mask will not work for severe sunburns.)
You can also add aloe-vera gel in this mixture!
Many of us forget about our hands, specially feet. If you are one of these “forgetful” types, try this mask for your hands and feet. It will get rid of the tan lines gradually.
You will need: Lemon, Turmeric, Potato and Curd.
Cut a lemon in half and blend it along with its zest. Blend the Turmeric, Potato with it and add 2-3 tsp of curd. Apply this mask on your arms and feet and leave it on for 20-25 minutes. Apply this mask 2-3 times per week to get results.
To know more about hands and feet care, check out the detailed article here.
If you have any more skin care advice, do share with us in the comment section!
Check out the next article on Summer care articles: Hair care.